Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Little House on the Prairie

When I was younger I watched every single episode of "Little House on the Prairie". Okay, I still watch it when it's on. Okay, okay...I think I've seen every episode a LOT of times. Okay, Okay, Okay Okay, I might win in a game of Little House Trivia.

 The other day I went to visit my brother and family and they were watching a re-run of Little House. I realized that the Ingalls family was actually a foster family. I remember James and Cassandra whose parents died in a wagon incident and of course Albert, who ran away from the orphanage. Even the dysfunctional Olsen's adopted little bratty Nancy, and then Laura and Manly took in Jenny, his niece. Now, I know there were orphanages but the actual "foster system" may not have been as complicated back then. Charles had such a loving, open heart...those kiddos were calling him "Pa" right away and felt so loved. Nancy ended up being a nice person, Albert a doctor, and Jenny always seemed to have a heart of gold.

Although the show was "based on a true story", I wonder if taking in other children was more common and not a financial "gain" as it is viewed of today? It seems like it was the goodness of their hearts and their faith that led them to help these orphans. No wonder I loved that show!

Today at our CPR/FIRST AID class, the reality of our upcoming foster/adoption came upon me strong. Being back in the Penny Lane building where we began our journey, being with other families on their own journeys, sharing stories....good and bad; it made my heart happy, anxious and reflective. The time is coming....we are almost going to be an option for the agency to place a child with. We will be on the board...we will be waiting for the call, we will be meeting a very special and important part of our story.

This week I also got to meet my friend's baby whom she adopted as an embryo and carried and gave birth to. This little precious, adorable, baby girl was given life. She is God's little girl and he miraculously has a plan for her little life. So encouraging.

I wish life was as simple as the Little House days in the Ingalls home... They were not rich, they did not have a 401K or a 3200 square foot house. They had a loft that all the kids slept in and no one seemed too concerned. They lived out their faith simply and had a lot to be thankful for. They loved God and loved others. They took care of their neighbors and their families with what little they had.

What a humble reminder of what we have to give....love and family and neighbors and a church and a home, and a udeniable faith.

Matthew 18:10 NIV
See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.  

No comments:

Post a Comment